Friday, March 13, 2009

About to lay down the mula.

First and foremost, I want to say THANK YOU! To all the new readers who traveled over here from my friend Meg's blog. Isn't she awesome? Hello! I hope you are having a great Friday! and THANK You to everyone who has made comments. They are very nice, and helpful and encouraging and just wonderful! so Thank you! You are great people!

D and I are going to getting our Power of Attorney done this Monday by some 'big wig' LGBT lawyer in a larger city.

I'm pumped. This is the first of many big steps in our 'official legal relationship'.

I am not pumped that we'll be spending an estimated $350-450 for ONE DOCUMENT.

Doesn't that seem much?

I did some investigative work amongst lawyers in our own town. My hopes skyrocketed when one lawyer said he'd do it for $50. When I asked if that covered medical PoA. He said "No, and who is this for again?"

"My partner."

"Well, business partners don't need medical powers. That is just for elderly people and man and wife."

I really wanted to respond "Oh, well sir, see we are in the LESBIAN business together. So as LESBIAN business partners, it is necessary."

But my freakish need to be nice and polite kicked in. So I just hung up.

Hmmmm.

So to the LGBT lawyer it is. Which, in a way, I'm okay with. All this guy handles are LGBT cases and estate planning. So he knows TX law pretty well (more than pretty well, I'm hoping for $350 freaking dollars). So this means if anything happens, I can call him and for an exorbitant amount of money he will take care of it. Which-- though not very budget friendly, it is comforting in some way.

We are just doing medical PoA for now. Partly to save on cost, and partly because financially we don't exactly have much of anything except college loans.

Exciting day though! And if I can find my digital camera in the murky depths of clutter in our house... I'll take some photos.

Happy Friday!

11 comments:

christina said...

have you checked out legal zoom? patty & i did our health care directives on legal zoom & it was pretty cost efficient. i'm not sure if they do PoA, but might be worth a looksie.

we need to do the PoA, as well...thanks for the reminder, i should head over to legal zoom myself...

good luck!
happy weekend!

Over the Rainbow said...

Congrats! In my experience, shelling out money for an attorney is a tough expense, but really worth it. It sucks that it costs so much to be queer (doesn't it?!), but you'll be glad to have a good document if it's ever necessary.

Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

"lesbian business", i love that! Ha!

Aleda said...

Yeah, as much as the money sucks, I've been told by a lawyer friend from church that not only do we need a good lawyer for all of this, but that it really should be one who specializes in family law and (more important) has done a lot of these for GLBT couples - because we're so...special. And, you know, we're just above all those normal pesky laws. :/

Susan said...

I know it's expensive, but a very important and necessary expense. And really, you don't want to find out too late that by saving a few dollars, you don't have the protection and coverage and rights you thought you did.

In any case, that is indeed a very exciting day, and I'm sending you both lots and lots of love from my dark tech table at the Brooks. :) xx

Bridechka said...

Congrats on the big step!

Amanda said...

It can seem rather expensive (and a totally pain in the ass and just plain not right that you have to do it, but all that rant aside) but having a real lawyer do it for you is probably the best in the long run.
If it makes you feel any better (probably not, but here goes) my fiance and I were told it would be $2000 for our prenup because we both need our own lawyer. Ouch! Luckily for me I have a lawyer on retainer from work that only costs me $300 per year to have all that stuff covered.

looking for me said...

congrats! I just discovered your blog and love it!

kadler said...

Haha, I totally wish you'd said that about being lesbian business partners. I have no advice, but wanted to let you know that you made me laugh :)

gena said...

I am getting married in a few weeks in Houston, Texas. Would you mind sharing your lawyer's contact info? Thanks!

Maria's yoga said...

WOW $350 that is quite a chunk of change. Is this for the ceremony as well or just paperwork?