Monday, January 26, 2009

Hello there, ye young lass, how bout a wedding mass?

Finding a gay-friendly venue in our fair state is a bit of a challenge. I apologize for not posting last week, but I was at an educational conference. While I was there, I ran into some dudes from the Texas Renaissance Festival and we started the wedding talk.

How nerdy is it to get married at a Renaissance Faire? Pretty nerdy, but we are nerds and love the renaissance and when you start thinking about all the troubles of finding gay-friendly caterers, bartenders, cake makers, etc.... it starts filling your head with stress and doubt and terrible thoughts about eloping to a rinky-dink ceremony in Canada with you, your fiancee and the no-one else. Or worse-- not going through with anything at all.

Gasp.

But Renaissance Festival, they seem pretty gay friendly. I just sent them an email, and I'm waiting on a reply. Overall, it is a pretty cheap place to get married, with it working out to just about $20 a guest. And the most expensive (and I'm talking-- lots of crap in this package) is $6500-- including flowers, cake and tickets for guests.
The nerdy tudor history dork in me just died and went to heaven....

Drawback: You can't bring in your own cake or food. And you are getting married at a renaissance festival (so there may be some unsightly folk around).

Plus: One stop wedding shop, with nothing overlooked.

I must admit, it is being thrown into the pot of our venues to look into.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At first I thought: Really Michelle?
But then I let the idea marinate like a turkey leg.
And I realized I would get wear eyeliner and drink mead, so I'm all in!