Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Trial Tracking

So, the Prop 8 Trial is underway and I am trying to keep my distance and not check my twitter and email every freakin' second for updates. I just keep getting that terrible feeling of dread and hope in my stomach. This trial is a HUGE deal. We are talking federal court, may actually reverse state amendments huge.

If you are looking for more information about the trial itself (as of now, defense has filed appeals to keep it un-televised) check out the Courage Campaign's Prop 8 Trial Tracker. The main contributors will be long-time bloggers Robert Cruickshank, Public Policy Director and Julia Rosen, Online Political Director. They are pretty much live blogging the whole thing and even though it may seem difficult to follow at times, it is loads of coverage.

My favorite gem of a quote from today: "you all have Brokeback Mountain, and it even got awards. Gay discrimination is over"-- from Defense attorney cross-examining Professor Chauncey (a LGBT history professor at Yale). From @bestlesbianweek

If you are on twitter, I'd suggest following @bestlesbianweek and @theadvocatemag for their pretty constant coverage on the trial, plus many other cool things.

In other news, Deb and I, along with Jackie of All Trades, traveled down to H-Town for the Bridal Extravaganza. It was a bit of bust (no cake tasting), but I think we found our music peeps, which is good. They are a cellist and guitar duo, and the singer has a great folksy voice that we both really like. Plus, they are super gay friendly and have performed at gay weddings before, so that is plus for us!

I do have a question though-- They are asking around $1000 for ceremony music, one hour post ceremony (cocktails/greeting) and then DJ services after (5 hours). This seems like a really good deal, but I've never booked any sort of music act before. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Wifey Wiferson said...

The trial tracker is great! Thanks for the link.